My name is Yao, an international postgraduate student from school of education.
I have lived in several countries as an educator and am the founder of International Second Language Acquisition (ISLA) Community-Society. I deeply understand the unique challenges international students face, particularly those who speak a second language. I have been working towards creating a more inclusive and welcoming environment for postgraduate students by organising events. University awarded our community €500 grant to host an event that aims to create university dialogue amongst students, lecturers and leadership, in order to promote a more transparent and inclusive campus.
I believe that my experiences and skills make me the ideal candidate for this role:
- I will help bridge the gaps amongst international students, home students and the university.
- I commit to ensure that the voices of postgraduate students are heard, particularly those of international students.
- I will work to facilitate a more inclusive and engaging environment for all postgraduate students by communicating key issues such as academic support, campus safety, and student rights.
- I am dedicated to providing active strategic feedback to improve the University's mission that benefits all students, to facilitate true internationalisation of that campus where it can truly accommodate diversity, and creates a sense of belonging for all.
- I am passionate about helping students and specifically advocating for equality, diversity and inclusion.
I would be honoured to have your support. Together, we can make a real difference for the postgraduate student body and the University of Galway.